Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Take on Alice

Okay, everyone has a different opinion and since this is my blog, here's mine. I'm biased - I'm going to say that right off the bat. Three reasons: 
  1. Alice in Wonderland was always one of my most favorite Disney movies as a child (and now).
  2. I love Tim Burton's visions
  3. I adore Helena Bonham Carter
(via)
 
I'll start with her, I guess. Her lines in this film were simple, but effective. Her delivery was amazing, I could've listened to her all night. I find her brilliant and mysterious, not to mention a dark kind of gorgeous. She's definitely the cheese to Tim Burton's mac - which reminds me - does anyone else see Ellen Page in 15 years when they look at her? 
 
 (via)
 
Moving on, I've had some friends mention to me in passing that they felt as if the story lacked a little. I agree in the sense that if you're comparing it to earlier films, there wasn't nearly as much exploring going on in Burton's take, but I feel it's because of the exact opposite reason - They've created more of a story. Alice was on a mission as opposed to walking around aimlessly and interacting with singing dandelions and marching with umbrellas. I would've liked to see more wandering around for Alice solely to watch how Burton would've described it.

Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter swapped between Willy Wonka and Jack Sparrow. I felt it worked for him, though. When he was the calm and playful Hatter I heard the soft Mr. Wonka as opposed when he was in an angry trance and he would growl like the excited Captain Sparrow.

Mia Wasikowska made for a rather unexpecting Alice, but a good Alice. We haven't seen much of her, so I kind of wanted to dislike her, but I couldn't. 

Anne Hathaway is good at any part she plays, but as unnecessary the White Queen is to Wonderland, she was necessary for this story. The only annoying part from her was her hand-dancing the entire time. Stop that.

It was everything you'd expect from Burton - dark, different and because of that, pretty dang good!

No comments:

Post a Comment